We usually separate our physical from our mental or from our emotional health. But the truth is, your body is your greatest asset to move through life. And your body (physical) encompasses as well your mind (mental) and your soul (emotional) life. So, great that you take care of yourself by going to the doctor if you have a headache, but have you thought about the emotional or mental aspects behind of your headache problem?
Make sure to take care of yourself inside and out, and recognize when your mind may need a break from stress and worry. Several research has proven that there is a connection between anxiety and the immune system. Stress can decrease the immune system’s strength, which makes us more vulnerable to a variety of illnesses, from the flu to cancer.
Even though in the middle of the situation it is very helpful that your doctor gives you medicine when you have a strong headache or a flue, truth is that no doctor will ever take as much care of your health as you will. Because it is your body. You have to live with it day-in and day-out – it is not your doctor, he has his own body to care about.
So you better take the time to think through your health and set the foundation of your life right.
Let me get as clear as I can: your body, mind, and soul are your only real assets to master this life. It is the foundation of everything else. If you wish, it is your only true home throughout your life. And therefore your health and fitness build the foundation for your overall well-being.
Taking good care of your mental, emotional and physical health and fitness are not difficult, the rules are easy:
A win here is a win everywhere because your body, mind, and soul are what you use to navigate through life. A healthy body sets the stage for success.
It is simple, success consists of what you put into your body, and how you use your body. It all comes down to meals and exercise.
Physical and mental exercise is a natural anti-depressives and directly related to your emotional health (increase of happiness hormones endorphins, dopamine, and serotonin)
You see, your body is a temple and should be treated accordingly.
Do you want to be healthy? I outlined the rules, they are easy.
But why is it so often that we do diets, lose some pounds and after Christmas season we are exactly the same weight as we started off with? Well, this is the perfect example that you have done the physical work but did not establish a profound mental basis about who you are and how you want to be perceived by others around you.
In order to custom design your own self-concept and create the right self-image, it is not enough to follow pre-shaped meal and exercise plans. Believe me, we all experienced it: we all tried miracle diets, vibro-plates for abbs, or done detox cures. We have seen and tried everything but it doesn’t work. And the only reason for these failures from the past is a cycle of low self-esteem.
Custom designing your emotional, physical and mental health and fitness requires some deep thinking of your life. You cannot expect anybody else to do it for you. No personal trainer is ever going to put as much effort into your health and fitness because it is not his asset – he has his own body. No restaurant chef will ever tell you if this food is good for you or not because his only job is to cook. So you better take responsibility. Take responsibility for your overall health and fitness. And it is easy because it all comes down to thinking, your nutrition, and your exercise.
Actions on a physical level alone would not be enough for lasting positive change. The ultimate reason for success this time is that you must integrate your health & fitness into all categories of your life. Your bodily health & fitness is just one part of the person you want to become. You also want to experience more positive emotions, want to have a higher self-esteem, more success, more money, and a strong character. Therefore, the most important part is to align your emotional, physical and mental health & fitness with your life vision.
Think about what is it you need to do and know in order to keep your body and mind functioning at their best? It is important to establish a good foundation. Write this down on a piece of paper. What is my premise for my health? A premise is a belief that all other beliefs are based on, which influences thoughts and empowers actions.
My premise is the following:
- Nothing is more important than my health. If I don’t have a healthy body, I will have a rather difficult time moving through life. Health is intimately connected to everything. And I am in full control of my physical destiny.
- I want to embrace as many positive emotions in my life as I can. Therefore, I will take good care of my emotional health.
- Only if I am in the best state of my well-being, I can make the most and best out of my life.
- I constantly choose to be in the best mental, emotional and physical state of my life. When I am in the best state of my life, I have a strong character, heart, and mind, which in turn improves my career, my relationships, my love life and all other areas of my life.
The trick is to decide consciously where you want to be in this area. Ask yourself: where do I want to be and what do I need to do to get me from here to there? What is the recipe for my ideal me? What actions do I need to take?
Then commit to making it happen.
A healthy body is completely connected and supporting all other areas in your life. It is not a stand-alone project. By keeping your body healthy and fit you get tremendous benefits. A healthy body provides you with more energy, and with more energy, you can increase your intellectual skills, or better your family life by playing sports and having fun with your children. Find the courage, and say “this is what I stand for”, let it be connected to your overall life vision, to your values, your foundational purpose and I promise you, you will exceed.
In order to win in this category, you must win in these two areas by establishing a strategy to follow:
Create the ideal meal plan for you.
Create an ideal exercise plan for you.
Every person is different, so it is not on me teaching you how your ideal meal and exercise plan should look like. And again, even if I do teach you, it is not likely going to make an impact because I will never be able to care as much about your body as you can. Therefore, you need to put energy into creating your ideal meal and exercise plans. But there are certain aspects I can guide you through:
Think about it: What does a healthy plate of food look like?
Figure out the average number of calories that you need daily. Find out BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, the calories you burn). Find your metabolic type. Research on meat and vegetables, where do you get how much energy from. Know what is the right food for you. Take a test on your overall health & fitness – online or offline. If you don’t have experience with this area – discover what you need to know. And finally, decide how much time you are willing to commit to your health & fitness on a weekly basis.
The ultimate key to success is to take responsibility for your health:
Take responsibility to choose your premise, your vision, your purpose, and your strategy for all areas of your health. Only by thinking thoroughly it will move you to act accordingly at a deep level. So:
- Define your beliefs on your health & fitness: Only if your beliefs are rock solid, you will be able to master your health & fitness. Because if you believe that you will climb mountains in your fifties and you will be traveling the world until your nineties, you will surely do everything in order to stay happy and healthy throughout your life.
- Envision how you want to look and how you want to be perceived by others. Work with pictures. Every day, envision the body you want to have. Imagine yourself running at the beach. See yourself wearing your favorite outfit. Have a crystal clear picture of yourself, how you want to look and how you want to be perceived by others.
- Define your purpose, why you want to be extraordinary healthy & fit. Do you want to be a role model? Do you want to wear the most beautiful outfits? Think of all the athletes and models who very much rely on their bodies. Our body is directly related to our capital because it is the asset we use to move through life. Our bodies are the primary way we are making money even though money is not the only reason we want to stay fit. There are much deeper reasons. What is your purpose, why must you be healthy & fit?
- Follow a strategy. Set up SMART (specific – measurable – achievable – realistic – timely) goals and a strategy to follow in order to achieve them. If you want to run a marathon a year from now, you have to set up a training routine starting today.
Again, your body is a temple and should be treated accordingly.
Focus clearly on what you want in your life and embrace your mental, physical and emotional health into all areas of it. Go after your life goals! Meditate on health, be mindful, exercise and do yoga, connect with supportive people and find a gym buddy, eat well, sleep enough, take quiet time, read, smile, be present, and take the time to think through your health because it is the foundation of your life. Have a good one.